If your Jabra Elite 85t microphone is not working during calls, you have landed at the right place. This article is a comprehensive guide for you.
It includes all the possible solutions to fix your issue. This problem usually arises due to wrong settings or software bugs.
It can be solved simply by changing some settings on your computer and phone. We suggest you follow our guide till the end and try all the tricks.
1. Test Your Devices
As a preliminary check, make sure your phone or computer is not muted. Moreover, test their speakers by making calls directly on your phone or computer.
Try pairing different headphones with your devices. If they work well, your Jabra Elite 85t has a problem with it. Connect it to some other source device.
Another important check is the battery of your earbuds. Make sure they are sufficiently charged.
2. Reconnect the Devices
A simple trick is to un-pair and then reconnect your Jabra Elite 85t to your phone or computer. The process is as follows;
- Turn OFF Bluetooth on your mobile and ‘Forget’ your Jabra Elite 85t from the list of paired devices.
- Reboot your phone and connect both devices again.
If your earbuds are paired with the PC, follow these steps;
- Confirm that your earbuds are properly connected to your PC. On your computer, open the ‘Windows 10 Action Center’.
- Right-click the ‘Bluetooth Devices’ option and then choose ‘Go to Settings’.
- Click the ‘Bluetooth and other devices’ tab. Select the ‘Audio’ tab and click your Jabra Elite 85t appear on the list.
- Now, press the ‘Remove Device’ button. Restart and reboot your computer. Pair your earbuds again and check the microphone.
3. Reset and Update Your Jabra Elite 85t
Try a reset on your Jabra Elite. Also, update the earbuds. Follow these steps correctly;
- You can update your earbuds from the Jabra Sound+ app.
- Launch the app on your mobile and click the ‘Discover’ icon on the top right corner of the screen.
- Click the ‘Update Now’ option and follow the on-screen prompts.
- Once the update is done, check your microphone.
- Place both earbuds in the charging case. Hold their button at the same time for 10 seconds.
- Release when the LEDs flash purple. Close the lid of the charging case.
- Re-open after 5 seconds, the reset process is complete now.
4. Enable Microphone for Calls
When you make or receive a call on your smartphone, it should be paired with your earbuds. You need to transfer the audio from your phone to the earbuds.
For this purpose, you should press the answer call button directly on Jabra Elite 85t. Look for the call settings on your smartphone.
Enable the automatic call transfer to earbuds feature. Toggle the microphone button to the ‘ON’ position. Some Android phones need to be allowed to receive calls on headphones.
It is better to consult the user manual of your mobile to find the exact settings.
5. Troubleshoot Your Phone
If your microphone is not working, it may be a fault in the source device like your phone. So, you should troubleshoot your phone. Follow these guidelines correctly;
- Turn ON Airplane mode on your phone. Wait for 30 seconds and turn it OFF. Now, connect your earbuds and make calls.
- Another trick is to restart your phone. Simply turn OFF your mobile for 30 seconds and then power ON again.
- Clear cache on your phone. Also, try to reset all settings. This can significantly help solve the microphone issue.
- If your devices support NFC, make sure to disable this function while you pair them via Bluetooth.
- Go to ‘settings’ on your mobile device and navigate to ‘System Update’. Install the latest firmware version to solve the problem.
- These simple tricks can readily make your microphone work.
6. Adjust Bluetooth Settings
There are some complex Bluetooth settings that need to be adjusted properly. Apply the default Bluetooth settings. Change the codec to AAC and AVCRP version to 1.6 instead of 1.4.
You also need to adjust Bluetooth A2DP Hardware Offload. Follow these steps;
- Open ‘Settings’ on your phone. Tap the ‘About Phone’ option.
- Find the ‘Build Number’ and tap it repeatedly for 7 times.
- Now, go back to the main Settings menu, ‘Developer Options’ should be visible here, tap it.
- Click on ‘Disable Bluetooth A2DP Hardware Offload’ and disable it.
- Now, check your microphone function again.
7. Reset Network Settings
If the above-mentioned tricks do not help, try resetting the network settings on your phone. This will erase the Bluetooth pairing information as well as SSIDs. The process is as follows;
- Go to ‘Settings’ and then choose ‘System’ or ‘General’.
- Click on the ‘Reset’ tab and select ‘Reset Network Settings’.
- Confirm the process and check your microphone again.
If none of the tricks work, restore your phone to factory settings. But, be sure to backup all of your important data.
Because this function will erase all settings, apps, and data on your phone. We suggest restoring your phone to factory settings as the last solution.
8. Enable Bluetooth Services
You may have connected your Jabra Elite 85t to your computer for making Skype calls or attending Zoom meetings.
In Windows 10, you need to enable Bluetooth headset mic in settings. If the microphone of your earbuds is not working, follow these steps;
- Pair your Jabra Elite 85t to your Windows 10 PC.
- Now, open the ‘Control Panel’ on your computer.
- Click on the ‘Hardware and Sound’ tab and then choose ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Your Jabra Elite 85t will be appearing here, right-click it. Choose ‘Properties’ from the menu and then open the ‘Services’ tab.
- Click the ‘Enable all services’ option and then press the OK button.
9. Program Bluetooth Settings
There are certain Bluetooth services on your computer that need to be programmed. When Bluetooth is enabled, these services run. But, it is necessary to set them to automatic.
- On your computer keyboard, press the ‘Window’ and ‘R’ keys at the same time.
- It will open the dialogue box, type ‘services.msc’ here.
- A list of services will show, navigate to ‘All Bluetooth Services’.
- Double-click each service to enable it. Click the ‘Startup type’ to expand the dropdown menu and choose ‘Automatic’. Confirm by pressing the ‘OK’ button.
Another solution is to set Bluetooth as a communication device on your computer. This will allow all the apps to use your Jabra Elite 85t for making calls. Follow these steps correctly;
- Make sure your earbuds are paired with your computer. Right-click the ‘speaker icon’ on the menu bar.
- Choose ‘Sounds’ from the list of options and then tap the ‘Recording’ tab.
- Right-click your Jabra Elite 85t (appearing on the computer screen). Next, click ‘Set as default communication device’.
- Click ‘Apply’ and check whether your microphone is working or not.
10. Update the Audio Drivers
If still, your microphone is not working, the audio drivers on your computer may be outdated or missing. Updating the drivers can fix the issue.
It can be done both manually and automatically. However, the manual method is both technical and time-consuming. Therefore, you should prefer the automatic method;
- Install the ‘Driver Easy’ software on your computer.
- Run the program and click the ‘Scan Now’ button.
- Within a few moments, it will present the scan report telling you if the drivers are corrupted or missing.
- Click the ‘Update All’ button to install the missing drivers. Avail the pro-version to do it quickly.
- Once the process is complete, restart your computer and check the microphone.
11. Allow App Access to Microphone
Sometimes, your earbuds microphone fails to work with a certain app. First, close the apps which are not in use such as Skype, Zoom, or Discord.
Because they may be using the microphone in the background. Next, check the app access to your microphone.
- Open the ‘Start’ menu on your PC by clicking the Window icon or key. Open ‘Settings’ and click ‘Privacy’.
- Choose ‘Microphone’ and click the ‘Change’ button. Enable the ‘Allow app to access your microphone’ feature.
- You can also enable the feature for your favorite apps only. In this case, click the ‘Choose which apps can access your microphone option.
- Check all the apps one by one and allow them to access your mic.
Related: Jabra Elite 85t Not Charging
We hope your microphone has started working. However, if still the issue persists, your Jabra earbuds are faulty.
But before that, you need to make sure that they are not working with any device. If this is the case, consult Jabra.
You can claim replacement if your device has not exceeded the warranty. We tried our best to save you from this hassle.
We have mentioned the verified solutions that helped many users in fixing their Jabra Elite 85t microphone not working issue.