Sony Xperia is a smartphone launched in 2008. Many versions of it have been launched till now. This smartphone has been adding newer features since then.
Its battery is efficient and lasts up to several hours. But, the battery can also pose some charging problems. The most common problem is Sony Xperia cannot charge but the red light is blinking.
Some minor reasons for this problem are defective chargers, power supply, or software glitches. While there may be some hardware defect if the red light blinks but the battery does not charge.
Either the battery is damaged or the Sony Xperia phone has some faulty components. However, this problem has some very easy solutions.
This article is going to tell you the best working solution for fixing your Sony Xperia battery that is not charging.
1. The Basic Solution
In case the battery of your Sony Xperia is completely drained out, it takes a long time to charge. The phone screen is black but the battery indicator is blinking.
It means it will require some time to come up. Plug the charger in the power outlet and leave the phone on charging. The red light will glow but it will be showing the battery icon almost after 30 minutes.
In some cases, the phone may take 4 hours to charge and come to life. So, you should have some patience. Don’t try to power on your phone after short intervals.
2. Examine the Charger
If your Sony Xperia is not charging, it may be due to a faulty charger. Check whether this charger works with other devices or not.
Alternatively, you can also use another charger for your phone. Red light blinking upon connecting the charger means power is being delivered.
Also, check the charging cable for cuts and damages. Always use the genuine Sony charger that is designed for your phone.
A low-quality or third-party charger can also affect the battery. Hence, the battery not charging issue is created.
3. Check the Connection Strength
A loosely connected charger can also stop charging. Make sure that the charger is tightly plugged into the power source and your phone.
If it is jiggling frequently, it affects battery health. Note that charging the phone via the computer takes more time.
Disconnect your Sony Xperia from your computer and try charging it through an electric supply. Plug and unplug the charger from the computer.
Another important thing to consider is the functionality of the power source. Maybe the electric supply board has stopped working.
You should check it by connecting some other device with it. Or plug your phone charger in some other power supply.
Red light can deceive you because you feel the battery is charging. But, actually, the power supply is not sufficient.
4. Do Some Cleaning
It may sound like a trivial thing but it is a very important point to consider. Dust or debris accumulated in the charging port of your Sony Xperia or charger can stop battery charging.
So, you should clean the charging port of your phone. Remove the dust by using a brush or toothpick and blow it out. Also, clean the USB adapter on your charger.
These tricks are very helpful to fix your Sony Xperia if its battery is not charging.
5. Change Battery Settings
The Sony Xperia has a ‘Battery Care’ feature. It prevents the battery from being charged fully. If this feature is enabled on your device, the battery cannot charge no matter how long it is plugged in.
However, the red light keeps on blinking. This feature actually takes care of the battery and avoids overcharging. You can disable this feature by the following process;
- Open Settings on your Sony Xperia.
- Go to ‘Battery settings’ and then to ‘Battery care’.
- Disable this feature from here.
6. Troubleshoot Your Sony Xperia
Reboot and restart can help to solve the charging problem. Refresh your phone several times by tapping the refresh button. Turn on the Airplane mode for a few seconds.
Another trick is to restart your Sony Xperia. Just turn your phone off and then on after some moments. This helps in clearing cache and thus improves your device performance.
You can force restart or force shutdown your Sony Xperia by the following method;
- Press and hold the “power” and “Volume UP” keys at the same time.
- Release the keys when the phone vibrates. It will restart automatically.
- If this trick cannot solve the battery charging issue then force shut down your Sony Xperia.
- Press and hold the ‘Power’ and ‘Volume UP’ buttons simultaneously.
- Release the keys when your phone vibrates 3 times and shuts down.
- Turn it on after a while by pressing and holding the power button.
- The logo will appear on the screen and will demand the SIM card PIN.
- It will take a few seconds to restart the device. Now, try charging the battery again.
7. Repair the Software of Your Sony Xperia
If the battery of your Sony Xperia is still not charging, try the software updates. It will ensure optimal phone performance. In addition, it can also remove software bugs.
But, you should back up the data stored in the internal memory of your phone. Because updating the software can remove all the data except that stored in the SD card.
Follow the guidelines given below to repair the software on your device.
- Install the ‘Xperia Companion’ app on your PC or Mac.
- Launch this software on your computer.
- Navigate to the “Software Repair” option and tap it.
- Next, follow the instructions displayed on the screen. Complete the process to reinstall and repair the software of your Sony Xperia.
- Now, connect the charger again. Hopefully, the battery can charge now.
8. Replace the Battery of Your Sony Xperia
You must inspect the charger and other accessories and try all the troubleshooting methods. If nothing seems to work then the battery of your phone is defective.
Maybe it has been overcharged or got some moisture. In this case, the red light indicating battery charging does not blink.
Before replacing, you can try a simple trick;
- Open the back cover of your Sony Xperia.
- Take the battery out and store it in a cool and dry place.
- Now, plug your device into the power source or in the USB port of your computer. It will start charging after 10 to 15 minutes.
- After an hour, insert the battery again and connect the charger.
- Wait for some minutes and turn your phone on.
If this last hope also fails then you need to replace the battery of your Sony Xperia. In case your device is under warranty, send a complaint to the manufacturer. Otherwise, buy a new battery from a trusted supplier.
Related: Sony Xperia Not Turning ON
To avoid any charging issue with your Sony Xperia, you should maintain its health. Avoid overcharging your phone. Keep it protected from water, moisture, and heat.
Charge the battery before it is drained fully. However, if your battery is not charging but the red light is on then you must try all the methods given in this article.
We conduct thorough research to solve your technical problems. Surely tricks listed in this guide can fix the battery of your Sony Xperia that is not charging.