I have an older GE microwave that I bought around 15 years ago, but it still works like new. The only problem is that the fuse blew the other day and now I didn’t know how to fix it.
I was not able to solve the problem in the beginning but after some time and going through various fixes on the internet, I got my problem solved.
All the experiences and fixes are mentioned below in the article below. Hope you will be able to solve the problem by the end of it.
Remove screws and front panel
First, you’ll need to remove a set of screws at the top of your microwave. The exact number depends on your specific model, but they should be located on either side of a large square panel in front of your microwave.
On older models, that panel maybe silver and has Microwave Oven written across it in capital letters. Newer microwaves have a black panel with white text (or possibly vice versa). Either way, after removing these screws—and making sure not to lose them—you can take off that front panel and look inside. You may also find a second set of screws attached to plastic handles on either side.
Access fuse holder
Open your microwave and locate your fuse holder. This is usually inside a cover near where you plug-in power. Remove fuse: Unplug your microwave and remove the cover over your fuse holder, then pull out its plastic fuse box.
There should be two to four fuses in it, depending on how many features are included with your particular model of microwave.
Replace blown fuse: If any of these fuses are burned out or discolored, replace it with a new one (they’re usually 1A or 2A, but check). Replace cover: After replacing blown fuses with new ones (if necessary), replace your fuse holder’s cover and secure it with screws or clips.
Disconnect wires and remove the fuse holder
If your microwave fuse has been blown, chances are it’s a simple problem that can be corrected with a careful reworking of some wiring. The first step is to disconnect any wires attached to your fuse box by unplugging them or opening up their connection ports.
If you need to remove your microwave cabinet in order to access these ports, move on to step two; otherwise, skip directly to step three.
Check fuses with an ohmmeter
The most common cause of a blown fuse is a dead short. If your microwave stops working, unplug it and plug it back in again—is it still not working? Then check all of your fuses with an ohmmeter (aka multimeter).
A fuse is designed to open when there’s an electrical fault that would otherwise damage equipment. It opens easily so you should be able to tell if one has blown: touch each lead of your meter on either side of a fuse and if there’s no resistance then you know that it has blown.
You can buy these at any hardware store; they cost under $20 but might save thousands in wasted time trying to figure out what went wrong.
Install new fuse holder
The first step is to buy a new fuse holder. You’ll find these in your local hardware store or online at sites like Amazon, and they are cheap. Next, go online to look up how many amps your current fuse (which you now have removed) was rated for.
This information should be somewhere on your old fuse holder, but if not it’s easy enough to find using Google.
For example, if you’re working with a microwave that uses a 1A fuse for its high-voltage supply then you can install an 8 amp fuse holder without worry because 7A is more than enough capacity—overkill even!
If your microwave fuse keeps blowing, it’s possible that there are loose wires in your unit. Check to make sure all wires and connectors are attached securely. If you don’t have experience with electrical wiring, it’s best to call a technician who can fix and/or verify your repairs.
In some instances, microwave repair is a safe task for an amateur; however, we do not recommend attempting any do-it-yourself microwave repair unless you have a working knowledge of electricity or if you’re prepared to pay for third-party repair costs should something go wrong.
Put the panel back on the microwave oven
First, check to see if you can get it to stop using a kitchen towel or your hand. In case that works, there’s nothing wrong with your microwave – but be careful because some microwaves automatically turn back on when they sense that you have your hand near them.
If turning off the microwave by hand doesn’t work, unplug it from its outlet for about 5 minutes and then plug it back in and see if that resets it. If neither of those solutions works, contact a repairman or buy a new one; obviously something is damaged inside your microwave.
Of course, always remember to turn off/unplug any appliance before touching any wires or panels! Always wear rubber gloves too! Never reach inside an appliance while it’s plugged in!
Also go through: GE Microwave Stopped Working Suddenly Issue Solved
Also watch this video to fix your microwave
The problem GE Microwave Fuse Blown might be fixed easily. Simply follow the article. Open up your microwave. The fuse is located on or near a printed circuit board.
Check that you have spare fuses, as they are often not included with microwaves. If you don’t have any spares or it’s an older model, buy some from a reputable electrical store. Not only will it save you time and money, but will avoid further damage to your appliance.
To replace your fuse, simply unscrew where it is supposed to be located and put in a new one of equal rating e.g 15 A/250 VAC/VDC-AC (for 110V AC use). Put everything back together and plug it in again – It should now work fine!